DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH ASSISTANT
The Health Assistant is a member of the health team who is trained to work both in the preventive and curative health care setting with some phases of social work in the homes and community. He/she will be employed by Government , Private individual to assist in the rendering of health services to those needing such cares.
To produce a level of manpower who will render assistance and support as auxiliary staff to qualified medical, nursing and health care practitioners.
- To render Health Care to those needing them in the hospitals, health care, private centre, private clinics, homes, industries and community.
- To assist in the maintenance of the aesthetic and cleanliness of the environment where they work.
- To assist in mobilizing the community for health actions.
- To assist in rendering health care services in various units e.g. Laboratory, x-ray, Physiotherapy, Clinics, Hospital Wards, Eye clinic, Pharmacy Department etc.
Job Title: Health Assistant.
Location of Job: Government Hospitals, Private clinics, Private Individuals, Industries, Local Government, Teaching Hospitals, Health Centers etc.
Duration of course: 4 semesters (two academic sessions)
Certificate awarded: Certificate for Health Assistant
Mode of Training: The programme is full time.
- He/she must be skillful/knowledgeable.
- Have good interpersonal relationship
- Hardworking and dedicated to duty.
- Honest, approachable and reliable
- Have initiative and observant
- Punctual to duty
- Responsible and mature
- Portray the ethnics and ethnics and etiquette of Health practice.
- Senior Secondary School Certificate with 5 passes at not more than two sittings.
- Existing workers (e.g ward orderlies, ward maids, dispensary attendants) in health facilities with five years working experience in addition to Senior Secondary School Certificate.
At the end of the course, successful student shall be given state/college certificate for Health Assistants.
- Performs duties assigned to him/her by supervising officer.
- Register new patients/simple record keeping/simple statistics.
- Prepare admission bed/carry out admission procedures.
- Maintain the cleanliness and aesthetic value of the patients’ environment.
- Drug pre-packing and assist in pharmacy department.
- Carry out observation e.g. TRP, BP, intake and output charting etc.
- Weigh patients and record weights accurately.
- Carry out health talk on different health related topics as necessary.
- Estimate hemoglobin according to established procedure/specimen collection to the laboratory.
- Test urine for sugar and albumen at home level.
- Give first aid care during emergency e.g arrest hemorrhage, recognize signs of shock and treat.
- Attend to cases of fracture/assisting during application of P.O.P.
- Provide family planning counseling.
- Attend to patients’ general needs e.g. feeding helpless patients, offering urinals and bed pans, washing of hair, treatment of pressure area, bed bath etc.
- Assist in dressing uncomplicated wounds according to procedure.
- Maintenance of hospital equipments/sterilize equipments.
- Assist in x-ray department, dental unit, physiotherapy unit, laboratory etc.
- DEPARTMENT OF NURSING TECHNICIANS.
The Nursing Technician course is the college coined program with the intention to train candidates who aspires to travel the lane of nursing career not minding the beginning. It is a rigorous academic program loaded with high workload both theoretical and practical with very strong curriculum for the cadre of health workers in training, gathered from various level of health education. He/she is employed by the formal Health System ( majorly, the private health sector) and is expected to spend 100% of his/her working time in the clinic. He/she is directly supervised by a licensed Nurse or Medical Doctor.
Job Title: Nursing Assistant
Location of the Job: Private Health centers, Clinic, Nursing Home care giver.
Personal Qualification: He/she must be
- Healthy and smart
- Able to communicate and work well with people in the health environment.
- Able to give support during delivery and even take delivery
- Be willing to live and work in the provided accomodation.
- Mature, approachable, friendly and honest.
- Knowledgeable and skillful.
- Have initiative and tolerance.
- Punctual to duty
- Portray the ethnic and etiquettes of Health practices.
- Academically qualified Health Assistant who has been on the grade for minimum of 2 years.
- A candidate who possesses five (5) passes in English, Mathematics, Biology or Health Science, and any other two (2) subjects in WAEC or NECO at not more than two (2) sittings.
- A candidate who possesses certificate in Auxiliary Nursing training with two years experience.
Duration of the course: 3 academic sessions (6 semesters)
Certificate awarded: Diploma for Nursing Technician.
Summary of Clinic Based Functions
- Register new clients.
- Weigh clients and record weights accurately.
- Carry out health talks on different health related topics as scheduled.
- Dress uncomplicated wounds according to established procedures.
- Sterilize equipment according to established procedures.
- Participate in collating data for monitoring and evaluation of PHC activity in the clinic.
- Update the clinic master card after community based functions.
- Perform any other duties assigned to him/her by supervising officer.